If you have been shopping for a new Chevy vehicle, you may be asking, “What is HomeLink®?” HomeLink® is a wireless control system that is built into your Chevy car, truck, or SUV. With this system, you can conveniently open and close garage doors or automatic gates, activate/deactivate home security systems, and turn on/off home interior and exterior lights, appliances, and other in-home electronics. Learn more about the benefits of HomeLink®, and find out how easy it is for drivers in and around Buffalo to program the system, in this guide from Joe Basil Chevrolet.
The Benefits of HomeLink®
No matter whether you have a HomeLink® equipped Chevrolet Malibu, Silverado, or other Chevy vehicle, this system allows you to enjoy benefits such as:
- Ease of Use: You will be able to easily connect your vehicle to your home systems. Learn how to program HomeLink® in the guide below.
- Compatibility: HomeLink® is compatible with just about all garage door openers and gate systems, as well as a wide range of other radio-frequency (RF) controlled devices.
- Control Up to 3 Devices: Tastefully integrated into your vehicle’s interior, the HomeLink® system allows you to control up to three devices.
- Safety & Security: With most compatible garage door openers, the system will be able to let you know if your garage door has been left open or closed. HomeLink® apps also allow you to have remote control over other in-home devices, such as the lights and security system, providing you with an extra level of peace-of-mind when you’re on the road.
- Battery-Free: Since HomeLink® is powered by the electrical system in your Chevy you’ll never have to worry about replacing batteries.
How Do I Program HomeLink®?
Not sure how to program HomeLink®. Don’t worry! Drivers will find that programming HomeLink® is quick and easy. First, you’ll want to start with the garage door opener. Simply follow these steps to connect your garage door opener to your vehicle:
- The HomeLink® unit features 3 buttons and is most commonly located on the ceiling of the car above the center console. Press and hold down the first and third buttons until the interior lights of your car begin to flash. This usually takes about 20 seconds. Note that pressing the first and third buttons is the master reset, you do not need to do this when subsequently adding other devices.
- Once the ceiling lights begin to flash, press and hold the button you wish to program while simultaneously holding the open/close button on your garage door opener. The lights should go from a slow to rapid flash, indicating that the programming is complete.
- Go into your garage and press the “learn” button on your garage door opener.
- Return to your vehicle and press the programmed button on your car for a minimum of two seconds. You may see the lights on your garage door opener flash, indicating that it is connecting.
Learn More about Your Chevy Tech Systems at Joe Basil Chevrolet
If you find that you need additional help programming your HomeLink®, or Chevy MyLink system, the certified service techs at Joe Basil Chevrolet can walk you through it. We can show you how to program HomeLink® without a remote. Contact our service department today and we’ll be more than happy to help. If you would like to learn more about this system, what an alternator does, about liability insurance coverage, how to finance a car with bad credit, Chevy Equinox trim levels, or have any other questions, don’t hesitate to contact us!